Classes Schedule and Details
LSS dance and drumming classes are back at Waterloo Action Centre (WAC), and thanks to the Arts Council England’s Culture Recovery Fund grant, we were able to offer all classes free of charge from May to July. It was great to see so many members and new students taking part, and most weekends were fully booked.
From now until the end of August, we are able to offer dance and drumming classes for £5 per class to all LSS members and non-members alike. We still have COVID-safe social distancing and mask-wearing in place, so numbers are limited to a maximum 27 participants.
Please note the following before you book:
- All classes should be pre-booked online – please do not come if you don’t have a confirmed place, or if you have any symptoms of Covid-19
- Dance class is still 6 – 7.30pm, but Bateria class time has changed to 7.30 – 9pm – both classes are open to all and suitable for beginners
- You may book and pay for both Bateria and Dance classes, if places are available
- Payment is taken on booking, with no refund for non-attendance – LSS members who pay by standing order will be refunded after each class
- Booking for each class closes at 9pm on the Friday before – if you book and can’t attend, please let us know so we can offer that place
- Dance and Bateria teams will post on LSS social media by 1pm on Sunday how many places may be available on the door
- Dance class participants who haven’t pre-booked for Bateria class may stay on and pay on the door if there are still places available
- £1 of every booking will be donated to our charities: Task Brasil supporting street kids in Rio, and Mocidade, our ‘godmother’ Samba School
- Please don’t arrive too early as you will not be allowed in the building – and please sign in with our door volunteers
Bateria class is from 7.30 – 9pm throughout August
Book your place on the next available Bateria class
Bateria Teacher Schedule:
1 August – Mestre Fred or Mestre Mags tbc
8 August – Mestre Fred or Mestre Mags tbc
15 August – Mestre Fred or Mestre Mags tbc
22 August – Mestre Fred or Mestre Mags tbc
29 August – Bank Holiday no classes
There will be one open-level Dance Class from 6 – 7.30pm
Book your place on the next available Dance class
Dance Teacher Schedule:
1 August – Iuli
8 August – Marta Scott
15 August – Marta Scott
22 August – Mariana Pinho
29 August – Bank Holiday no classes
In light of COVID 19, the London School of Samba has created a procedure which aims to minimise the risk of Covid-19 exposure at the Waterloo Action Centre (WAC) during our samba classes but also reiterate the importance of infection control/health and safety on these premises. Please be assured that the London School of Samba takes the COVID-19 very seriously; anyone who does not adhere to these rules deliberately will be escorted from the premises.
- Attendance is by pre-booking only.
- All sessions will contain a maximum of 27 participants plus the teacher in the large dance hall
- Whilst entering WAC and walking down the corridor a mask must be worn at all times, this is due to the nature of the narrow corridors which doesn’t allow us to carry out social distancing. The masks may be removed if you wish after entering the Bateria/Dance rehearsal space.
- Social distancing (2m) and appropriate hand hygiene must be followed at all times. Hand sanitizer will be provided at the exits/entrances but all participants must wash their hands before entering the rehearsal halls.
- Please refrain from any close personal interaction e.g. handshakes and hugs/kisses, as this places people at a risk of exposure.
- For the Bateria, one drum only per person. Drums must not be swapped between players. Please confirm with the teacher which drum you will play BEFORE picking it up. There will be a short clean down of instruments after the session.
- Following the lesson, please leave the centre promptly.