See us in action
I have never danced before, can I come to your classes?
We have a beginners class which is perfect for people who are new to Samba and want to develop their dance technique. Our teachers are warm and caring with focus on having fun. No one judges you for not getting the dance steps straight away as you are just starting out or overly worries about you making mistakes. Just come!
I have danced samba before, can I join your performance group?
For those who are familiar with samba our Level 2 class offers you the opportunity to continue the fun while developing your dance and performance skills. It’s from here where the potential for more dance performance opportunities in our school opens up.
Do you have samba parties I can join?
The final Sunday of the month we have a special dance event called Quadra night. This is when our drumming group (Bateria) join with the dance class for a memorable night of passion and energy. While you may not be able to get to Brazil this class replicates the feeling of Copacabana beach during carnival. We usually have a short show from our performance group and then dance the rest of the time to the pounding samba beats. With the night finished we all head over the road to the pubs for drinks and a chat. Find below a video showing a typical Quadra night.
I'd love to learn to play the drums. Which instruments do you have?
The core instruments are:
- Surdo – (three differently pitched drums to provide foundation and bass to the samba)
- Caixa – (similar to and an evolution of the snare drum for samba)
- Repique – (a high pitched drum calling drum)
- Chocalho – (a shaker made of jingles similar to those found on a tambourine, but attached to a frame)
- Agogo – (two or more bells of different pitch, used to provide melody, borrowed directly from its African counterpart)
- Tamborim – (a small high pitched handheld drum, used to provide melody through a series of complex rhythms)
Feel free to just drop by on a Sunday and pick your favourate instrument.
I have children, do you offer samba activities for kids?
We offer classes to people of all ages and part of what we do is facilitate classes for children of all ages. From Early Years classes at the Tate, Primary School children performing with us for Waterloo Carnival, to a combined group of Primary Schoolers offering a samba percussion accompaniment to the BBC Orchestra. Find out more here.