LSS Mestre-Sala and Porta-Bandeira to parade at 2022 Rio Carnival
Our Mestre-Sala and Porta-Bandeira, Marcelo dos Santos and Davina Greeves, have been invited to represent LSS in the Unidos de Bangu parade in the 2022 Rio de Janeiro Carnival. Davina and Marcelo will parade as the ‘3rd couple’ of Unidos de Bangu … Read the full story
“This is great news for our School and we are delighted that LSS has been chosen to represent the legacy of Castor de Andrade in the person of Marcelo and Davina!”
Marcelo and Davina at the London New Year’s Parade 2020 – photo by Miko Jacqueline.
See us in action
I have never danced before, can I come to your classes?
I have danced samba before, can I join your performance group?
Do you have samba parties I can join?
I'd love to learn to play the drums. Which instruments do you have?
- Surdo – (three differently pitched drums to provide foundation and bass to the samba)
- Caixa – (similar to and an evolution of the snare drum for samba)
- Repique – (a high pitched drum calling drum)
- Chocalho – (a shaker made of jingles similar to those found on a tambourine, but attached to a frame)
- Agogo – (two or more bells of different pitch, used to provide melody, borrowed directly from its African counterpart)
- Tamborim – (a small high pitched handheld drum, used to provide melody through a series of complex rhythms)
Feel free to just drop by on a Sunday and pick your favourate instrument.