The London School of Samba is one of the UK’s largest carnival arts organisations. It is a community-based organisation which is managed almost entirely by a network of volunteers. Our organisation relies on it's amazing team of volunteers, but we're always open to more...
Become a volunteer
Do you have a skill that you could bring to the London School of Samba?
The London School of Samba is run by a group of around 15 volunteers in the Operational Management Team and Trustees, but we often need extra help. Tasks can vary from as little as a couple of hours a month to a one off task, and it all helps.
Volunteering can be rewarding and fun. It can be an opportunity to make new friends, develop some new skills, or contribute an existing expertise.
Below are the current volunteer tasks and who to contact to get involved.
- Volunteer drivers to transport costumes to our barracao (carnival base).
- Volunteer stewards.
- Volunteer make up artists.
- Volunteers – as many people as possible 1 to 10 hours per month.
- Stewards for carnival.
- Film makers to document carnival or elements of carnival.
- Premises search scouters.
Contact: Mariana firstname.lastname@example.org
- No volunteer opportunities at present
Contact: Fred email@example.com
- Someone to transport costumes from the Biscuit Factory to Huskies Studio every once in a while.
- We need volunteer drivers to take large costume cases from workshop to airport or to train station and on return journey from Coburg Samba Festival.
Contact: Mariana firstname.lastname@example.org
- A volunteer to support the gigging wardrobe team, helping to sort through costumes, or take a costume to a gig or just making sure the website is updated with upcoming workshops.
- Volunteer costume makers.
- An eagle-eyed volunteer who can use their own time to source items on Freecycle (ongoing).
- Film makers or photographers to document workshops.
Outreach and Education
- A photographer available during the day (CRB checked desirable).
- Volunteer to help to develop this strand of LSS activities.
- Volunteer to join outreach booking team (of 4)
Communications and Admin
- Volunteers to help with door duty at Sunday workshops. You will be the friendly face that greet participants, collect admissions fees and record the day’s takings. You also be able to attend free workshops for your time on the door!
- Film makers and photographers to documents events, gigs and occasionally for classes for purposes of publicity.
- People able to print a colour poster for us every once in a while.
Contact: Kanika email@example.com
Events and Gigs
- Another volunteer to join the Events and Bookings team (of 3) to help coordinate gig finding. You’ll be looking for gigs and helping to support LSS members who approach you with potential bookings.
Contact: Asia firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to volunteer a skill or expertise but can’t see it listed above, please contact us anyway so that we can let you know if we need your skill or expertise in the future.
This page is regularly updated according to opportunities that arise, so if there’s nothing here that takes your fancy then please check this page again.