The London School of Samba is one of the UK’s largest carnival arts organisations. It is a community-based organisation which is managed almost entirely by a network of volunteers. Our organisation relies on it's amazing team of volunteers, but we're always open to more...
Joining the LSS Bateria (drum)
– members of Bateria team will approach people at Waterloo Action Centre Sunday workshops about joining the LSS Bateria.
– if you are interested in joining the LSS Bateria, you can email Bateria Directors on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Joining the LSS Performance Group (dance)
“We are a mixed skill level community group that delivers a high quality show as well as opportunity for personal development. High quality means a high level within own skill set, variety or set/costume/dancers in performance, changes of dancers and costumes on stage where possible and use of numbers of less experienced dancers to strengthen performance.”
We hope this process serves the aims we’ve outlined above:
– After 2 Dance Team members support putting someone forward, they will approach the individual in person and/or via e-mail.
– an individual can contacts us on email@example.com to express interest in joining us, if you are not yet known to ask we may ask to come and meet/see you at one of our Sunday WAC workshops.
– After sending you clarification of the Performance Group structure and what being part of the group entails, the Dance Team would invite you to the next appropriate Performance Group rehearsal, ideally within 1 month.
– During this trial rehearsal the Dance Director or rehearsal lead will assess if the individual is apt to join the Performance Group.
Decisions are made in light of a variety of required samba and performance skills.
– You will receive, usually within one week of this trial rehearsal, an e-mail confirming if he/she has successfully joined the Dance Performance Group.
– Feedback will be offered upon request if the individual is not able to join the Performance Group. Feedback will be given by the Dance Director in consultation with members of the DT involved, and final decisions will rest with the Dance Director.
Regardless of receiving expressions of interest or not, the Dance Team commits itself to consistently look for potential new dancers at LSS Workshops, shows and events and DT members will scout and approach individuals.
– You don’t have to be a member of LSS to express interest or when taking part in a trial rehearsal, but you’ll be expected become a member if you are successful and join the Performance Group before continuing to to attend rehearsals.
– You will be asked to sign an agreement relating to the rules of the group as part of joining.
Not able to commit to rehearsals?
Would like to drop in and take part in the occasional parade?
If you’d like to take part in carnivals/parades year round but don’t feel the performance group rehearsals is for you, you can also ask to be put on a dancers mailing list by contacting the dance team. When opportunities arise we open out invitations to take part through this mailing list. You just need to let us know you want to be on it.
The LSS Bateria and Performance Group is for people who want to rehearse and perform year round at gigs outside of carnival as volunteers.
However you do not have to be part of either Performing Dance or Bateria groups to take part in our Summer Carnival season, including Notting Hill Carnival. Anyone can take part in these events.